Skip to main content

Death's Duty Calls, Act 1- The Prince, Part 1- The Kingdom

Act 1 - The Prince

Part 1- The Kingdom

The curtain rises on a throne room. There is a window facing out to a forest. The window will be moved back and forth throughout the play, but the forest behind it will stay. An imposing man, the king, DANIEL, sits on the throne, looking at his guest- JAY. She wears black clothes, comfortable, fitting her snuggly. It bags at the belt cinched around her waist, and it’s obviously not just for fashion. She has the hardened stance of a killer. The king wears robes fit for his status as emperor, and he is obviously not afraid of Jay’s confidence.
There is medieval music playing in the background. On Daniel’s right is a tall man, wearing a hood. He is holding a small pouch and a larger bag.

DANIEL, leaning forwards- Well hello there, Jeannine. Nice to finally meet you.

JAY, slightly annoyed- It’s just Jay. And the pleasure is certainly only yours, King Daniel.

Daniel turns to the man next to him.

DANIEL- So this is the legendary Jeannine Moses…

JAY, cutting him off- Just Jay…

DANIEL- … the greatest mercenary ever. I’m impressed, Miss Moses…

JAY- With all due respect… just call me Jay.

DANIEL- Of course, Jay. Do you know why I called you here today?

JAY- Because you have a deed you need to take care of and you don’t want to get your precious, manicured, kingly hands dirty?

DANIEL- Precisely.

JAY- I was being sarcastic…

DANIEL- Who knew you had a sense of humour beneath those stone-cold eyes?

JAY- Humour is the one thing I hold dear in this dark, pitiful world.

Daniel leans back, kicking his feet in the air.

DANIEL- Well, Jay, duty calls you. I want you to bring me the head of the Spider Queen.

JAY-The Spider Queen? The queen of the spider-demons?

Daniel nods solemnly.

JAY- Piece of cake, man. Give me a week to find her, and another couple days tops to get there, a couple days to get back…

DANIEL- Actually, I’m only giving you a week. We’ve found her location already, and I’d be happy to lend you one of our dragons to ride on. It’s a five-hour flight on one of the dragons. You’re heading to the Forest of Demons.

JAY- How… obvious.

DANIEL- We’re also supplying you with a bag of essentials since you were robbed of yours.

JAY- You stole them off of my back when I walked in here.

DANIEL- Well, I wouldn’t want you to try and kill me.

JAY- If I have a reason to, I will, your Majesty.

She says the word ‘Majesty’ with a very dark and malicious tone.

DANIEL- Michael?

The man who was standing next to him, MICHAEL, nods and hands Jay the two pouches.

JAY- What’s in the tiny bag?

DANIEL- Your budget of 500 gold pieces.

JAY- Ah. Can I ask where those dragons of yours are?

DANIEL- In the basement… Michael! Lead her there. Then come right back. You’re free to go once you have your dragon, however, Jay.

JAY- Bah. I think I’ll stay in town for a night or two. It’s been a long journey, and I’m going off on a quest. This calls for booze.

She turns heel and leaves the scene, whistling an air. Michael follows her.

DANIEL- I hope she can make it… none of the other mercenaries have.

He pauses and thinks for a minute.

DANIEL- Granted, they were all softies. They fell for poor old Kira’s tricks… and I had to kill them. I think Jay is hard-headed enough that she won’t fall into that state of mind.

From the other side of the scene, a boy, DARYN, comes running in. He’s dressed in a modest royal style, with silken fabrics in a peasant's shape.

DARYN- Dad! Dad!

DANIEL- Hm? What is it, Daryn?

DARYN- Where is that lady going?

DANIEL- You mean Jeannine?

Daryn nods.

DANIEL- She’s going after the Spider Queen.

DARYN- Can I go talk to her, Dad? I just wanna hear one last tale of adventure.

DANIEL- My son, Prince Daryn of Leanoria… you’re soon to be 15 years old, correct?

DARYN, uncertain- Yes father.

DANIEL- It’s high time you stop listening to the stories of these misfit heroes. You’re a prince, and you will not be joining the ranks of our knights.

DARYN, starting to cry- But father! They were such a big part of my life! It’s always been my dream! And Jeannine is the best mercenary ever, I just have to hear one story, father!

DANIEL- One night. She will be at the tavern very soon.

Daryn’s face lights right up.

DARYN- Oh thank you, thank you!

DANIEL- However, I will be sending Michael to retrieve you at 11 pm.

DARYN, disappointed- Oh… yes, father.

The lights dim. The scene is moved. The window is turned around to the tavern side, and tables are set up. Mugs litter the tables. Lanterns sit on them. Tavern music begins to play as the lights return to life. Jay is sitting at a table, sipping from a rather large mug. A thug is sitting opposite to her, holding another mug.

THUG- Well dolly, you sure you can handle this?

She wipes her mouth before responding.

JAY- Oh please. You’ll be rolling under the table before a drop of this gets to my brain.

A bell rings. Daryn walks into the tavern, wearing a hood.

THUG- Well lassie… you’re the strong type, aren’t ya?

JAY, shrugging nonchalantly and looking into the mug- I could be considered strong, yes.

THUG- Can you handle me though?

JAY, looking up at him with a smirk- You? Of course.

They set up to arm-wrestle. Daryn sits at a table beside theirs and watches, astounded.

THUG- Just a warning, I won’t hold back on ya. If your arm breaks, not my fault.

JAY- Blame it on the booze.

They start to arm-wrestle. The thug is obviously trying very hard, while Jay is barely straining.

JAY, yawning- Is that all you’ve got?

THUG, grunting- Of course not! I was just warming up!

JAY- So was I, bucko.

In one swift motion, she wins the wrestle, pinning his arm to the table.

JAY- Keep dreaming, mister.

THUG- Fine. You win.

He stands up and walks off. Daryn sits in his empty seat. He smiles broadly at Jay.

DARYN- Hi there.

JAY, confused- Hello?

DARYN- That was amazing! You’re so strong!

Jay windmills her right arm in a stretch.

JAY- Yeah. Mostly practice. What do you want?

Daryn holds out his hand.

DARYN- I’m Daryn Melodrin.

JAY- Prince Daryn Melodrin?

DARYN, shocked- How did you know?

JAY- I read up on my clients before I accept a job. You’re the youngest of five siblings. You have- had, sorry- a brother. You have three sisters left. They’ve all gone to other kingdoms. You’re the only heir left, but shock! Horror! You want to be a knight.

DARYN- Woah. You do know a lot.

JAY- Here’s the thing though, I’m not training you.

DARYN- Wh-What?

JAY- If that’s what you’re thinking. However…

She leans in, grinning.

JAY- I could take you where I learnt to be a mercenary and let Conrad have a crack at you.

Daryn’s face lights up.

DARYN- You really would?

JAY- Might as well… Conrad and Aletha have been having fewer and fewer students.

DARYN- Who, may I ask?

JAY- Conrad and Aletha run a mercenary school. It’s… basically where I grew up. They raised me, in a way.

DARYN- Tell me that story, then.

Jay looks at him, even more confused.

JAY- What?

DARYN- Tell me your backstory. That’s what I do! I go to adventurers and I ask them to tell me a story! It helps fuel my dream!

Jay chuckles. She takes a long drink of her mug and sighs, slamming it on the table.

JAY- Alright then.

Daryn sits back, excited.

JAY- My father and my mother weren’t exactly mentally stable. I was told I was an accident, that they were never supposed to have a child. But they did. I was raised in an abusive household. My father hated me. He never let me do anything. He beat me whenever I tried to leave. He beat me for everything I did wrong. My mother didn’t care. She was too busy trying to become famous. She was a local theatre star, and beautiful… but when she had me, she got noticed and admired less and less. She was hungry for fame… and she would do whatever was necessary. At 8, I managed to run away. I ran and ran, scared that my dad would catch me. I ran through the forest and found a tavern. I went in, looking for sanctuary… and I found out it was only a tavern on the outside. It was a school for mercenaries. Conrad and Aletha saw my talent… they let me in. They raised me. I was a top student.

She stops and looks into the distance, very pained.

DARYN, worried- Jay? What’s wrong?

JAY- I returned home when I was 19 and found that my mother got the tabloid attention she wanted… When I ran away, my father had gone on a murderous rage and killed all my friends… he was sentenced to death… and for her last glimpse of fame, my mother hung herself, pretending that it was out of love, that she couldn’t live without my father.

Long, solemn silence. Daryn looks uncomfortable.

DARYN- Jay?

Jay looks at him.

DARYN, crying- Please… take me with you!

Jay is hit with shock, and it’s obvious. She looks at Daryn with wide eyes as he flops onto the table and starts crying into his crossed arms.

DARYN, sobbing- Dad is evil! He’s evil! I don’t want to be with him anymore!

JAY, in a comforting tone- Hey, hey… it’s ok, Prince… I’ll take you with me. If you decide you rather the mercenary life over the royal life, I’ll take you to Conrad and Aletha’s school.

Daryn shoots up.

DARYN- You… you really would?

JAY- Of course I would! Conrad and Aletha would love another student! And having a sidekick isn’t too bad either. C’mon, let’s sneak you out.

Daryn smiles and nods.

DARYN- Yeah. Yeah. Let’s go.

The duo stands up and leaves the scene. Michael walks in the other side of the scene, looking around.

MICHAEL- You know what, Jay? This means war against us. First, you steal my son from me, and now you steal the son of the king. You’ll pay for this…

Michael leaves.

End of Part 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Death's Duty Calls, Act 2- The Queen, Part 1- The Father

Act 2 - The Queen Part 1- The Father The curtain rises on the forest. The campsite is gone. The forest is still there. Jason and Jay are walking across the scene, with their bags on their backs. They stop about one-quarter of the way across the stage, stop, and turn back.  JASON- Daryn. Pick up the pace. Daryn jogs up to them, panting. He leans against Jay, who steps back. He slips and hits the ground. DARYN, out of breath - It’s not my fault that I don’t have as much endurance as you two. JAY- You wouldn’t survive a day with Conrad and Aletha. JASON- He’s a prince. He’s soft. Daryn shoots up. DARYN- I’m not soft! I’m strong! Watch me! He pulls Jason’s sword off Jason’s belt and swings it at a tree with no effect. JASON- You’re strong-willed. That’s… good enough. DARYN- Yeah. I’m strong. He puffs out his chest and parades around Jay and Jason.  JAY, sarcastic - Ha, ha. Hilarious. C’mon. We need to get to her lair before sundown, or else fighting her will be

Author's Note 3

It's October, which means SPOOPY TIME!  Super excited already. And I know I said I would be posting more often but I've been busy and lazy so... yeah. Here are the usual story updates fellers! The Mental Link I released Part 5 back in July so Part 6 is due. I'm currently writing it, should be out soon. (By soon, I mean within a month, not within a day) Interrogation Only wrote one part to this and I probably won't write anymore unless I get pestered about it. The First Trio 3rd Part is written. Too lazy to post. The Lady in the Mirror Writer's block continues. It's coming. Eventually. SNEAK PEEK- Stories coming out soon? Inter-Dimensional Heroes CO-CREATOR HAS BEEN WRANGLED. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. Characters and backstories have been updated, and a few roleplays have been done. I'm just psyching myself to write and post these. Fifteen I just stumbled upon this like a couple weeks ago and I was like "Huh. I need to keep writing this

Dear Alien chapter 1

1 Dear Alien, If you’re reading this you have taken over me or somehow killed me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart. This hell that is my life now can’t end. Never ends. And so you have taken out of my misery. And that’s why I thank you… Right now, I’m sitting in Alien Human Experimentation Labs. My pencil is quivering in my hand. I shouldn't be writing with a dislocated shoulder, but I don’t care.  I need to write this. I put down the pencil and roll my sore wrist. How long has it been since I’ve written? It feels like centuries. But my normal life- my life before the aliens- only ended two and a half years ago. So it’s much, much less than centuries . I turn my head to inspect my captor. He was turned with his back to me. Unusual, but I’ll take the window. I pick up my pencil again and return to my letter. I 'm a prisoner, owned by AHE. Your company, your people, your kind. Yeah, you . Thanks to you, I’ve been broken- physically and mentally- more times